Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Bill O'Meally

Default Barley balls....

Gareee© wrote:
Ok, these clear up ponds.. has anyone just tried barley, like from the
grocery store? Maybe in a punctured tupperware container or such?

Since our pond here's turning green, I'm starting to look for
solutions. Locally, when I mention barley balls and such, the people
in the stores look at me like I have 2 heads...

As both a pond enthusiast and homebrewer, and having a ready supply of
barley and malt on hand, I thought I might combine my two loves. After
checking out the ridiculous prices that pond stores want for barley
straw, I tried various experiments with what I have on hand.

One thing I tried was using spent malt, well rinsed, in a stocking
between the filter pads of my biofalls. (Heck, it's just waste matter
that usually goes into my compost bin anyway). Doesn't work! Lots of
string algae.

Then, I tried plain (unbrewed) flaked barley in the same fashion. No go.

I have yet to try the barley straw, but other posters in this group seem
to find that it works. I think I may just bite the bullet, save my
barley for beer, and get the straw!

--
Bill

"Wise fool"
Gandalf, THE TWO TOWERS
-- The Wise will remove 'se' to reply; the Foolish will not--