Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Default OT new Harry Potter film

yup. and some of these charter schools dont have any review system so when suddenly
they shut their door cause they gone bankrupt ... all the kids are stuffed back into
the public system. now. what really gets me is Wisconsin PUBLIC school system has
1/2 of all the kids score 100% on the SATs nationwide last year.. it is the PUBLIC
schools systems that produce the most national merit scholars. but it is mostly the
wealthier suburban public schools that get something like twice as much money per
student as the city kids since how much each kid gets is based on property taxes.
rural kids suffer poorer schools too. we moved into the city cause DH wanted to work
with city kids. but these kids need more than burb kids. a lot of them have
learning disabilities that are inherited from parents who were themselves untreated
and under educated. or mental illnesses, drug abuse, etc. DH comes home with real
horror stories, kids even getting killed. children cannot do well in school when
they live in total chaos from the day they are born.
and no private or religious school gonna take kids with these kind of problems. for
all that private/religious schools get to take the cream of the crop the kids dont do
any better on standardized tests than the kids from public schools. all this really
does is take money from the only system that is mandated to provide for all kids no
matter what language they speak, how physically or mentally handicapped, no matter
how disruptive. pfffft.
Ingrid

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:
I will dip my tippy toe into this discussion, as this issue is near and dear to
my heart and paycheck.
In our state we passed an intiative to reduce class sizes and increase teacher
pay. The governor suspended this action as we just don't have enough money. (We
do have money to spend millions and millions on high stakes testing, which is
highly suspect that this is a good thing, but that is a whole 'nother issue.)
BUT... the legislature just passed the authorization to take state funds, that
are apparently very dear, and establish charter schools. Now another group of
citizens has started a petition drive to put an intiative on the ballot to
outlaw charter schools... it is two steps forward, six steps to one side, three
steps back, bow to your partner....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com