Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Dave

Default Gravely

Bad Bob wrote in message . ..
(Dave) wrote:

I tried an old Gravely walk-behind rotary plow today and it was
bizarre.

Had an uncle that bought a gravely (he got the ride behind seat). Had
a snow blower, brush hog, roto tiller and a reel mower attachments. He
bought this rig in 1952. My cousin's son is still using it today and
takes care of 20 acres with it. Built like a Sherman tank.

Does he use the rotary plow? I gave it a try. It provides a swath of
only about a foot but will fling the dirt three or four feet. That was
my problem. You are supposed to have a dirt shield on there to
minimize that but it was missing here. Basically with such a narrow
swath and dirt all over I could not keep track of my passes. Also the
adjustments require tools. The depth setting clips require a pair of
pliers to pry off and the plow angle setting requires two 3/4
wrenches. It was difficult to judge its effectiveness and I had no
extra time to play with it much. I ended up with a bunch of mounds
that were extra work to level out once I switched back to my Troy. I
wonder how many owners have converted that rotary plow into a
conventional set of tines? The Gravely does use conventional tines on
the cultivator attachment, but these are very small diameter for
shallow work.