Old 09-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
On 6 Jun 2004 09:20:43 -0700, (ta) wrote:

Torsten Brinch wrote in message

. ..
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:01:30 -0400, "ta" wrote:

rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think

tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that

supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer

Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic

farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an

expert, so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

The quoted statement is rather vacuous, ta, but not controversial..

Of course, you're right. I wasn't referring to the claim about the
toxicity of non-synthetic pesticides per se; everyone knows that
organic farming employs non-synthetic pesticides. I was referring to
CFGI's critique of organic farming in general, as laid out in the
referenced PDF file.

It is crude propaganda (as so much is, that come out of the Averys
at Hudson Institute.) Nancy Creamer has an article on it in OFRF
Information Bulletin, summer 2001, which you may be interested in
reading.

http://www.ofrf.org/publications/news/IB10.pdf

Hi Torsten,

Before swallowing the yield claims of organic corn being 94% of conventional
corn I would like to see the trials. As no other studies by ether organic or
non organic papers have every pretended to claim yields that high for
nitrogen hungry crops like corn and wheat.

Even the organic papers admit 25 to 33% decrees in grain yield in most
cases.

In a publication that discusses chemotherapy for veterinary uses I would not
put much stock in the stuff published there. As a chemist you must have some
standards that publications must meet before using them as sources. Surely
you don't think that dilutions of chemicals where no molecules of the
chemical
is left in the solution that is used for treatment can have any effect.

Try not to dig so deeply in the pig sty for rebuttals.

Best regards

Gordon.