Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Dave

Default Plants causing skin blistering - in UK (not just nettles!)

"Howard Clase" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Hi,

I was gardening in a T-shirt, wearing gardening gloves, and a weed
cutting fell on my wrist. There was no immediate reaction but the
next morning it got very itchy and came up in blisters, and took over
a week to go away.

I've heard about poison ivy, but I thought that was an American plant.
What are the plants in the UK I should be wary of, besides nettles?
It didn't look like giant hogweed, and was quite small.

Thanks,
Dave.

Not much to go on - but Richard Mabey in "Flora Brittanica" says that

other
members of the Apiaceae contain the same irritants, it's just that Giant
Hogweed has more of them! Some memebers of the buttercup family also do
this - I'm thinking of Monkshood, which is a garden plant - but it's
possible that others do and there are a lot of Ranuculaceae weeds.

Howard Clase

Thanks for the leads. I've had a look today at what has grown back, and it
looks like nettles, but miniature ones. Here are some pictures:

http://www.dmccol.freeserve.co.uk/large1.jpg (1.6 MB)
http://www.dmccol.freeserve.co.uk/large2.jpg
http://www.dmccol.freeserve.co.uk/small1.jpg (0.25M)
http://www.dmccol.freeserve.co.uk/small2.jpg

Anyway it seems to have cured my cold, like on the TV advert!

Dave.