Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Plants causing skin blistering - in UK (not just nettles!)

In article , Dave
writes
Hi,

I was gardening in a T-shirt, wearing gardening gloves, and a weed
cutting fell on my wrist. There was no immediate reaction but the
next morning it got very itchy and came up in blisters, and took over
a week to go away.

I've heard about poison ivy, but I thought that was an American plant.
What are the plants in the UK I should be wary of, besides nettles?
It didn't look like giant hogweed, and was quite small.

Thanks,
Dave.

Rue has a reputation for causing problems. The sap of hellebores and
euphorbias, IIRC, can cause problems, and there are weedy euphorbias.

Beyond that, some people find the hairs of all sorts of plants irritant.
(Alcea - Hollyhock - is listed in the Botanical Dermatological Database,
and I have an anecdotal report of problems with Lavatera - presuming my
correspondent identified the plant correctly.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley