Old 09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Frogleg

Default magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:20:39 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"frazzled" wrote

I have just bought a small magnolia grandiflora goliath (approx. one metre
tall).It has three branches. I have never written to here before, & am in
need of some advice. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to
trim/cut it to make it bushy & not let it grow too big.

It is not easy to advise. You have already made your choice~~ M.
grandiflora is potentially a large growing wall shrub though can be free
standing. To make it, as you wish, you could reduce growths in early spring
but it seems so painful~~and probably very many years without flowering ; if
at all.

Doesn't the cultivar name suggest that 'not too big' isn't one of this
plant's most prominent features?

http://www.habitas.org.uk/gardenflor...lia_grandi.htm

I have experience with 'shrubs' whose natural growth stops somewhere
around 20-30 feet (not of *my* choosing) and without constant pruning,
they'd reach it in short order.