Old 09-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Sirius631

Default Organic does not mean pesticide free...

In article , "Pete" writes:

Hi David and thanks for the reply
I agree that you have to make choices depending on what resources are
available, although I was referring more to land management choices rather
than food purchases.

We try to produce as much as we can using what resources we have available
and though we tend to lose lots of "produce" to pests I've (so far) never
thrown in the towel and blasted everything with the really heavy stuff,
(I've used cabbage dust and pyrethrum sprays) ... so my question was really
aimed at folks who like us, get lots of bugs and beasties sharing their home
grown produce and try to control them with an organic solution ... better
land management and companion plantings, use of animals for pest and weed
control, animal manures, mulches and worms for nutrient and soil improvement
etc ...not specifically sprays or powder but using the "bigger" picture to
hopefully balance things out and avoid the use of toxins.

Good to see someone is still reading the NG David ....

*looks North and sees people in Scotland sunbathing !!!*

Pete

When growing our own, there is nothing like a successful organic system. What I
have is nothing like a successful organic system. I either have to improve
rapidly, or continue to accept predation. I don't see any genuine alternative
to organics when it comes down to soil improvement. Good old muck and sweat! I
might be able to talk my neighbours into letting me use some of their
'wasteland' for a chicken coup, so I can get a new input/output interface.

Talk about people in Scotland sunbathing, for a sun worshiper like me there is
a conflict with permaculture - my best secluded sunbathing patch is also my
best growing patch. Suppose I should be happy to save water by not wearing
clothes that I have to then wash

David Lloyd
So open-minded - my brains dribbled out.