Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Frogleg

Default Flippin' deck

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:40:22 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"martin" wrote

"Flippin' deck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...231770,00.html
Jane Perrone delights in the demise of a certain garden fad, and has
some advice on putting right its inherent wrongs

Nonsense. Used appropriately it is fine.

I needed a safe all-weather path system in my garden, so I used decking that
I treated with varnish-type stuff into which sand had been stirred to
improve the grip in wet or icy weather.

I was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted. Many of the Ground Force projects
involved making a pleasant platform where people could enjoy looking
at the rest of the garden. On level 'ground' where chairs and a table
might be comfortably placed, as well as attractive plants in pots.
It's not as if they were paving over the entire garden.

Also, while the UK probably has the highest proportion of passionate
gardeners of any population on earth, there must be some people who
would prefer tidy, reasonably attractive, low-maintenance landscaping
rather than a wilderness of weeds or scruffy grass and overgrown
bushes.