Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Kay

Default Lupins

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spamle
ssness.fsnet.co.uk writes

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
Subject: Lupins
From: Victoria Clare
Date: 07/06/2004 10:06 GMT Daylight Time
Adrian wrote in
news
Dear all,

We've sucessfully grown a large number of lupins from seed and I see
the instructions say not to plant out until Sept. Internet searches
also confirm this.

Frustratingly nobody says why! Can anyone enligten me?

Lupins are very vulnerable to slug/snail attack, and you can lose an

entire
sowing overnight (happened to me :-().

Funnily enough, I just noticed last week that the verges along the M8 and

M73
are covered in Lupins. It looks lovely.

I hope it stays that way. Presumably they were sown by a green "terrorist"
throwing seeds out of the car window. Some years ago I planted some spare
daffodil bulbs on a grass bank near me. They looked great the next spring,
but the council contractors promptly mowed them and they haven't been seen
since. :-((

You need to be very careful when planting spare plants in this way - OK
in town, but not in the countryside - our native plants are already
having a tough fight against imported aliens which have escaped from
gardens or been deliberately let loose - himalayan balsam, japanese
knotweed, Rhododendron ponticum, spanish bluebell to name just a fe -
all of these seemed harmless enough at the time.
--
Kay