Old 09-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Deborah P.

Default Growing root ginger

Gregory wrote:

In article ,
Gregory wrote:

Thanks for these helpful tips ! Time will tell just how green my fingers
really are with ginger !

BTW : I'm now trying to germinate some juniper berry seeds - from
berries bought from the supermarket spice section, of course !

Like you, Gregory, I have a habit of trying to grow plants from the bits
and pieces left over from my shopping basket. Your post reminded me of a
wonderful little book I was given in the late 70s when I was a student
with one window sill and zero money. I think it's called 'The Pip Book'
by Keith Mossman (I'm afraid I'm not at home at the moment so can't
check) and gives advice on growing anything from citrus trees from pips
to lychees and pineapple tops. I'm almost sure it's still in print. Good
luck with the ginger and juniper.
I'm a bit worried you might be disappointed with the juniper as the
berries sold in Britain generally come from places like Hungary and have
dried out quite a lot before they reach the supermarket shelves. Could
you not get some berries from someone who has a juniper bush in their
garden?

Cheers

Deborah