Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Phal potting material?

I think that you remedied your first mistake - reusing the apparently sour
sphagnum.

All should be OK from here.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Fran Kirby" wrote in message
I have a phal. that was bought potted in spaghnum with popcorn in the

bottom
of the pot. It was in bad condition and I had to remove most of the roots
due to rotting. I repotted but kept the same planting medium. Since then,
one leaf has yellowed and died and another one split and is wilted.

However
there is a new leaf coming up in the middle, so I have some hopes of its
recovery. After reading some of the recent posts on phals, I have changed
the potting medium to the orchid mix I use for the rest of my plants and
also put it in an "orchid pot" with extra drainage. I am glad I checked

the
roots again-the remaining roots had also rotted-evidently it was kept too
moist in the spaghnum. Any other hints for its health would be

appreciated.
TIA

--
Fran Kirby