Old 10-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Victoria Clare

Default grape vine for pergola.

"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

Hi all,i have a pergola, which i am going to grow a wistera .I would
like to grow a grape vine which are good enough too eat,is this
possible if so can anyone recommend a variety?I live in
Nottingham,East midlands.

Um, do you mean you are planning to grow a wisteria and a grape vine on the
same pergola? If so, I think you may need to re-think, unless the pergola
is a large one. Wisterias are very large vigorous plants, and grapes need
plenty of sun to crop well.

I'd be worried about shading out the vine with the wisteria - unless you
have plenty of room to prune both and keep them more or less separate.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall