Old 10-06-2004, 03:09 AM
PK

Default grape vine for pergola.

Victoria Clare wrote:
"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

Hi all,i have a pergola, which i am going to grow a wistera .I would
like to grow a grape vine which are good enough too eat,is this
possible if so can anyone recommend a variety?I live in
Nottingham,East midlands.

Um, do you mean you are planning to grow a wisteria and a grape vine
on the same pergola? If so, I think you may need to re-think, unless
the pergola is a large one. Wisterias are very large vigorous
plants, and grapes need plenty of sun to crop well.

I'd be worried about shading out the vine with the wisteria - unless
you have plenty of room to prune both and keep them more or less
separate.

You can do it with a bit of fprwrd planning.... 2*Wisteria trained along
the side timbers of the pergola with all side branches cut back very short.
Grape vine(s) as a green roof in the sun.

pk