Old 10-06-2004, 01:07 PM
dps

Default miniature greenhouses

Lee wrote:

i got a clear plastic carton containing 4 large muffins at the super
mkt a couple of weeks ago and the more i looked at it the more i
invisioned a greenhouse! I also have clear plastic egg cartons that
have a double lid, one shaped like the top of an egg and the other
covering that. Another greenhouse!...

Just thought here may be someone who overlooked the potential of the
plastic cartons...

Sounds good, but remember that ventilation is an important part of any
greenhouse. I assume you're using these small containers indoors
(otherwise you run the risk of having them blow away in a wind).
Indoors, there's probably no need to close up the "greenhouse" since
most houses have some form of temperature control, which is the primary
reason to use a greenhouse. You could just pull the lid off and use both
halves as trays to start seeds on a windowsill.

As an example of the necessity for ventilation, I have a small (14 x 20)
greenhouse. One sunny February day I closed it up. 30F outside.
Estimated 135F inside (it was off the scale of my thermometer). I now
store stuff in that greenhouse (since I now have a larger one). On sunny
hot days, if I don't keep both doors open, the temperature will get high
enough to melt the plastic flats.