Old 10-06-2004, 05:04 PM
George

Default aeration

wrote in message
the only part she got wrong was em being cold water fish. they arent. their
metabolism peaks at 75-78oF. Ingrid

I thought something was wrong with that, but I wanted to hear it from somebody
else first.

" George" wrote:

wrote in message
no.. those are bettas can gulp air. the idea comes from the goldfish bowl
and
the
carnival GF. most all die, but the occasional one survives horrible
conditions.
fancy GF dont survive long at all. it is always the commons that make it.
Ingrid

" George" wrote:
Really? I don't understand why. Maybe I am mistaken, but aren't they
natural
air gulpers. It has always been my understanding that goldfish can tolerate
less than ideal conditions, while koi cannot.

Well, apparently you are right. I did some research and found this article:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art3503.asp

Excuse my ignorance. Chalk it up to many years of experience raising tropical
and salt water fish, and virtually none with cold water species (except for
the
last year or so). Everyone who has goldfish should read that artcicle. You
live and learn, right?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com