Old 10-06-2004, 05:38 PM
jane

Default Growing root ginger

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 18:07:19 +0200, "Deborah P."
wrote:

~Deborah P. wrote:
~
~ Diane Epps wrote:
~
~ "Gregory" wrote in message
~ ...
~
~ I'm very much a window-sill gardener, and I like to grow plants and
~ vegetables that are generally available, such as can be bought in
~ virtually any supermarket. I'd like to try growing some root ginger,
~ bought for the princely sum of 33p, and which seems to have a "down"
~ [with roots] and an "up" [with buds], but I'm not even sure of that !
~ Any tips as to how I can get it to grow, please ?
~
~
~
~ If you stick it in some sandy soil, water and wait it will grow but
~ not an
~ economic venture just interesting
~
~
~ You should also put the pot in a tranparent plastic bag, tie it up,
~ making sure there is space above the pot, and place the pot in a really
~ warm spot.
~Just had another thought -are you contemplating planting the whole hand
~as one lump? This would be a waste. You only need a piece about 2" long
~(with at least one "bud" on it) and you can cook with rest.

I did this a couple of months or so ago and now have a 2 foot high
stem and two more tiny ones growing. They are in a warm conservatory
and need tying up as the stems get tall as they flop over. Leaves are
sparse and thin on the stems.

I am doing it for curiosity too, though expect to end up with a very
large root by the autumn if the bulging pot side is anything to go by!

--
jane

Mark Twain