Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Bob

Default Flippin' deck

Frogleg wrote:
I was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted. Many of the Ground Force projects
involved making a pleasant platform where people could enjoy looking
at the rest of the garden. On level 'ground' where chairs and a table
might be comfortably placed, as well as attractive plants in pots.
It's not as if they were paving over the entire garden.

I did see one TV show where they actually did deck the entire garden (one of
those long narrow ones you get with Victorian terraces), with the occasional
small hole for tree or shrub. The end result was a barren wooden expanse,
and neighbours who were furious about the constant clomp-clomp boots-on-wood
noise as wells as being overlooked by people whose heads were now well above
fence height!

Bob