Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Brian

Default magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:38:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something

of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand' and

'goliath'
alone would be a hint.

To be fair, 'grandiflora' refers to the size of the blooms, not the
tree. (I looked it up :-) 'goliath', however, does seem fairly
obvious.

Agreed but not a lot of small trees have very large flowers on - or not

that
I can think of at present! No doubt somebody will come up with a list of
hundreds! 'goliath' is a dead give away. We do find that here, most

people
do ask, if in doubt but then there's usually someone around who can help
them. I think one of the problems with some gc's is the 'supermarket'
attitude that is taken. The only person who can actually be found is the
person on the check out.......

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email

'Twouldn't surprise me if someone finds a lichen 'goliath' !! Many names
seem to be gross exaggerations. Rose 'maigold' however begins full bloom
during April and throughout May~~Well named and scented too.
A local G.C, rather nicely, has an obvious and well used selection of RHS
encyclopaedias and booklets on display. [Not for sale]
I liked the ref. to the Queen and King Holly. How many must have been
caught out?