Old 10-06-2004, 06:11 PM
tuin man

Default sod it?

"David Hill" wrote in message
What a lot of fuss.......all you do is to build a turf wall with the turf
face down, this can be used for many things or just to let the grass die
off. you will get a bit of growth from the outside half inch but if you

let
it alone for about 8 weeks you can then cut the wall back with a spade

about
an inch and put the trimmings in your compost heap (Buried) after a year

you
will gave first class loam for potting compost.
This was the way that loam was produced for many many years and it grew
great plants.
No need fro chemicals or the hard work of digging a trench or anything.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

And might I add that as the de-compose that way, their activities of the
bacteria aiding decomposition will not affect what ever plants you tend to
place over them.
Not to mention avoiding a strange and intuitively unhealthy smell that can
sometimes arise from burying turf in large quantities.
The 6" option was going to come a cropper when you tried to plant the first
plant with a pot greater than that dept.
I am assuming that this new top-soil you mention is for a flower bed and not
also intended to go under the path. If I'm wrong and that is what you
intend, then your path will be alover the place in no time at all, and stink
for a while with it.

Patrick