Old 11-06-2004, 12:12 AM
gary davis

Default pesticides question

On 6/6/04 1:28 AM, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , gary davis
writes

Worried about sprays? And so you should. We all should. Eliminate the
doubt and support your local certified organic farmer.

That's just our problem! In the UK we don't have that many certified
organic growers,

Well, it is not surprising that you do not have many organic growers! It is
very difficult to become an organic grower because they are unable (by
regulation) to use 'chemicals' that are harmful to the soil. The rules of
organic farming makes it tough for farmers! They cannot just simply plant
seeds and watch them grow. They are not allowed to use chemicals that kill
all vegetation so they must find a way to do that on their own...suppress
the weeds, eliminate them and still find time to plant. It is a tough time
for them. But should they have the 'jam' to follow it through it bodes well
for the future of vitamin rich produce.
The reason I say this is because it is the worms in the ground that do
the work. They produce 'plant food'...food plants can utilize. Killing
weeds with chemicals upsets the balance...and the worms are not fed. If they
are not fed, they die.
Chemical fertilizers feed plants but there is no food for the
worms...without worms the ground becomes infertile. It then requires more
chemical fertilizers...what happens should chemical fertilizers become
unavailable? We live in a volatile world, it could happen. Then what?
In Canada, were I live, certified organic farmers are not even allowed
to put manure of any kind on their fields until it has been composted. I
don't necessarily agree with this but those are the rules! And they are
followed by the certified organic growers here! Tough rules, tougher
farmers!
They are motivated to follow the rules and set them themselves! Self
monitored! They know the value of many things including worms! They feed
them...the worms: chemical fertilizers, which they won't use, don't (feed
the worms) thus the composted manures. Don't you just love their commitment?
They are nuts about this...drives me crazy sometimes...g

and a lot of our organic produce comes from spain and
further afield - so we may not get a personal dose of pesticide, but
we're contributing overall to global warming and vehicle emissions.

Yes, Kay you have raised a point that many of us are not aware of...the cost
in pollution of the delivering of the produce from afar. It is a subtle
point but well taken.

But if I were a lobbyist for the non-organic farming industry, the
amount of travel involved for organic produce is just what I would be
talking about loud and wide ... so .. I don't know.

Yes, I don't know all the truths about this either but I do know that
helping the local organic farmer by firstly-finding him/her and supporting
the process by buying their products. That will be a start. Starting is one
of the most important things...just start! Then after 'the start' more
farmers will be encouraged to follow the lead. It will not be easy, but it
will be worth it!

Note: One of out local certified organic farmers produces lettuce too large
to put in the standard (24 per case) box. He sells them at what we call Farm
Gate-the farmers doorstep market. It's worth the drive...

Perhaps the demand
for organic produce, at present being fulfilled by imported stuff, will
encourage more organic producers in this country and in the longer run
reduce the need for imports.

I'm not sure if this response is truly Canadian or our American
cousins...but..YUP!

Kay, thank you for your concerns.
Gary
Fort Langley BC