Old 11-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Stephen Williams

Default HELP! My fuchsias

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
| On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:27:22 +0100, Bjazz68 wrote:
|
| Hi, Last summer during the heat wave, all my Fuchsias on my balcony
withered
| and died, even though I tried to keep them cool with spraying.
| Can anyone tell me what the maximum full sun temperature that they can
| tolerate outdoors is?. And do you have any 'high temperature' tips
please?
| I live in London.
|
| It sounds like your balcony must face south or west so it gets a
| great deal of sun.
|
| Were the *pots* exposed to full sun? If so, what killed your
| fuchsias may have been the soil overheating and in effect cooking
| the roots.
|
| You might try cobbling together a light wooden frame to place the
| pots in. It doesn't need a bottom -- it's there to shade the
| pots, not hold water or soil.
|
| The more delicate cultivars may still get leaf scorch even with
| the pot shaded.
|
| PS: I see someone else has suggested fuchsia cultivars
| originating in California, in the belief that these can handle
| more sun. I'm not su the best areas for fuchsias in California
| are close to the coast where fogs and mists are common and the
| temperature never much gets very high or very low.
|

| --
| Rodger Whitlock
| Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
| [change "atlantic" to "pacific" and
| "invalid" to "net" to reply by email]

I can't say where the best area in California is, but last year I managed to
grow my Californian Fuchsias in full sun in pots and hanging baskets. Bear
in mind that we had a very hot summer last year, and so far this week I'm
boiling! The local weather man is suggesting a summer almost as good as
last years and he argued with the main forecasters last week and was right
so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Steve