Old 11-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Ivan McDonagh

Default More on compost

Some time ago I discussed here my plan for composting the whole of the back
garden. Given that I have abundant raw materials - grass clippings and
straw - but less time than I would like I decided to compost in situ.

The piles heat up *very* nicely and reduce their volume just like they are
supposed to but first they seemed to run dry and now that the big rains
have started (hopefully) I am worried about the other extreme -
waterlogging.

At the moment the piles are thoroughly soaked and there is some very minor
worm activity in one part and a reasonable amount of fungal activity.

Am I safe in thinking that a large pile of compostable material will, in
the course of say 3-4 months, just decompose, be eaten by worms and fungi
and turn in to reasonably good soil ? The alternative to just leaving it is
to regularly turn the whole lot but that's rather a problem given the
amount of material I have - about 140 square metres.

Thanks for the assistance.

Ivan.