Old 11-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Ray

Default Wow, Orchids at Lowes!

Be careful (on a number of fronts).

"Professionally grown" does not necessarily implied "grown well." Root rot is something to watch
for, as in the case of Lowes, HD, and the like, that is often "professionally grown for the mass
market that will throw it away when it dies." Not that there aren't good bargains to be
occasionally had, it's just a caveat.

The fact that they are unlabeled would make me suspicious of the ID as the species aphrodite. You
may very well be right, but ...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Sinister" wrote in message
hlink.net...
The last place I expected to find professionally raised orchids, I found
spray after spray of Phal. Aphrodite at Lowes.(Of course they didn't label
them "Phalenopsis Aphrodite", just Phalenopsis, like they were the only
kind!) So big and beautiful and so many blooms to a cane I thought it
would make the orchids tip over. Nero Wolfe himself couldn't have grown
them better.

All they had were Phals though... I'm not that big a fan of Phals either
but had I been they had the lot!

Any other stores like Lowes that might have Orchids?