Old 11-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Martin Brown

Default Whitefly plague

This recent spate of very hot weather has led to a huge population
explosion of whitefly in the trees around where I live in North
Yorkshire. I have had problems with them inside a glasshouse but I have
never seen them occur like this outdoors and so very early in the
season.

Beech seems to be particularly badly affected and many trees are now
well coated in whitefly, dripping honeydew and literally humming. So far
no signs of decent numbers of predators like ladybirds or lacewings.

Anyone else seeing abnormal pest infestations?

Regards,
--
Martin Brown