Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Kay

Default Flippin' deck

In article , Frogleg
writes
On 9 Jun 2004 11:42:07 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Frogleg writes:

| I'm familiar with (some of) your climate. Interestingly enough, I
| looked up average annual rainfall figures for Norfolk, VA and Norfolk,
| UK. Virginia: 44inches. UK: 23 inches. Of course that doesn't tell the
| whole story, but believe me, I've experience with mildew, moss, and
| mud. :-)

Now look up the evaporation in winter. I should be surprised if
you have less than ten times ours even in places like Cambridge
and Norfolk - yes, really.

"Seattle has a well-deserved wet and rainy reputation, perpetuated
not least by the self-depreciating humor of its citizens. It is a
pertinent point that the 36 inches of annual rainfall received by
Seattle each year is less than the annual rainfall of places like New
York. It is just that the rain comes down over a longer period--often
precipitating as a slow drizzle, begrudgingly deposited by low lying
clouds that seem to hang around far longer than necessary to get the
job done.

So it's not the rain, but the *manner* of the rain. I included the 2nd
paragraph because I read many similar descriptions of/from the UK.

Yep - we have the best of all worlds - drizzle, *and* up to 70 inches
;-)
It goes back to what Nick was saying about evaporation - we have
relatively high humidity (not high compared with, say, Vanuatu, but high
compared with the Med) so between Oct and April everything stays damp,
and those of us who find heat difficult find it particularly so because
it's hot and muggy.

I only chose Norfolk because it was a handy name comparison. Had no
clue yours was one of the drier areas.

Try the US version of, say, Manchester.
--
Kay