Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Sarah

Default Inner City - Courtyard Gardening - Infestation of Vine Weevil

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:32:46 +0100, "Sharon Hughes"
wrote:

I have around 50 pots, varying sizes (most around 12 " on average), raised
beds (each around 8
ft long x 3 ft high). How the heck do I drench this lot to kill the beetles
without it costing the arm and leg I'm already missing? Obviously it's
going to cost me more to replace the plants I've already bought if I let it
go, but it's a close call buying teeny pots at £4.99-£5.99 which treats such
a tiny area at a time.

Have you tried biological control? I had terrible problems with vine
weevil and it was the only thing that really worked, though it had to
be applied twice in one year (beginning and end of season) because it
works on grubs, not adults. This isn't much of a problem as it's the
grubs that do the damage - the adults just notch the leaves;
unsightly, but unlikely to kill the plant.

Have a look at http://www.defenders.co.uk/vine_weevil_control.htm
You get a sand-filled pot containing nematodes which you mix with
water, then water on as usual. I think one of the small sizes (about
a tenner) would do for your pots and beds. Apparently some garden
centres are now doing biological controls by keeping fridges in-store;
worth checking out in your area.

Sarah