Old 11-06-2004, 09:46 AM
sw

Default Ants and broad beans

Emma Bryceland wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:55:26 +0100
(sw) wrote:

The Reids wrote:

Following up to David

They seemed
to be stopping where the spots are and feeding.

look closely, they are blackfly, I get them every year, spray
with soapy water, problem solved.

Is anyone else finding this a bad year for aphids (OK, good year for
aphids, bad year for plants and people trying to control aphids)? I
noticed a few curled leaves on the apple tree and unfurled them to find
huddled masses -- a veritable carpet! -- of aphids. Some leaves had
grey, others red, and a very few green. There's greenfly on the roses,
pinkfly on the scabious, a friend's lupin had real lupin aphids, huge
things, and every one of the broad beans has blackfly.

Presumably down to mild winter and moist spring?

Indeed, 2004 is the year of the aphid...wonder if Chinese Astrology has
Iadded that one to the mix yet? can vouch for the South UK..we're crawling
Iwith the wee beasties..it's all out war!

I like that -- the Year of the Aphid. Attributes (other than annoying
:-)?

regards
sarah

Off to buy some real soft soap as the washing liquid failed to take out
the blackfly on the broad beans. Grrrr.

--
Think of it as evolution in action.