Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Frogleg

Default Flippin' deck

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:42:34 +0100, Kay
wrote:

Frogleg writes

The quarrel *I* had with 'Ground Force' was the introduction of
blooming plants for a pretty TV episode conclusion. I would *love* to
see a "1-2 Years Later" feature on some of these transformations.

They did some 'a few months later' programmes. But not on all of them. I
wonder if they only showed those that had survived?

Those haven't been shown on BBCAmerica, AFAIK. I'll watch for them.

Still, "makeover" programs are more like fairy tales than reality.
They illustrate principles and suggest ideas, and can hardly detail
the care and habits of each plant in 30 minutes.

They're great for ideas (and I was thinking yesterday how much more
interesting gardens in our town have become over the last few years).
But the down side is that they suggest gardening is an instant thing,
like repainting a room. Not only does this lead to disappointment when
it gets overgrown and unkempt, but it also misses out on a very positive
side of gardening, which is watching things develop over the years.

OTOH, I find them inspirational in showing what can be done in a
relatively short time with solid, concentrated work. I tend to do a
little bit and then stand around admiring. And promisie myself I'll
Keep Up with regular maintenance, which never seems to happen.

It is true that Transformations don't last. Weeds grow through mulch;
plants need to be pruned and trimmed; annuals must be renewed. "Low
maintenance" is a relative term, indeed. :-)