Old 11-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Andrew G

Default Sick grevilleas

"Janev" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with grevilleas which have dying
branches? Situated on the north shore of sydney on a well drained
position.

What type of Grevillea are they?
We have many at work, and while I cannot think of the name (gem perhaps?)
but they are the type with the pine needle type leaf that are spikey which
apart from spiking you can leave you with a rash and itchy.
Nearly all of them have died or are dying around the course simply due to
not having a prune back every year. They are about 5yr old and we are
ripping them out.
Other common grevilleas were looking sad until a heavy prune over and they
come back great.
My sisters in the Blue mountains are apparently doing the same, with the odd
one here and there starting to die.
Getting to the point, I would say check soil moisture. Not on the surface as
heavy dews can make the surface soil seem moist. Check down about 10cm to
the root zone. If it's too wet or too dry that may be the problem.
If moisture is all ok, and they are at least a few year old and have never
been pruned back then keep fingers crossed that they last the winter, then
give them a heavy prune in Spring. Prune all over with shears.

A Westringia nearby is also starting to die off?

Then I dare say it may be lack of water, or too much. As you said soil is
well drained I dare say lack of water.

What is the problem and what to do about it?

See above and good luck

Thanks,

Jan