Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default soap spray

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:16:30 +0100, "denis glover"
| wrote:
|
| I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so forgive me
| if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray for
| aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be used
| against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)
|
| Normal washing up liquid, at washing up strength, wiped out my aphids.

I suspect that a bit stronger would be better, and a squirt of meths
is supposed to help. I use Savona, which is a liquid horticultural
soap, obtainable from Green Gardener and Tuckers. At the recommended
strength, it can be used to drench plants, and deals with mealybug,
aphid and red spider mite very well. Yes, they come back, but you
can spray pretty often (unlike with the systemics). And, rather more
dilute, it is good for washing down the conservatory.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.