Old 11-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Overwatered orchid

You have a Phalaenopsis type orchid. I am assuming that the fruit in the
dish on the table is real; if so, that may have caused your flower drop
(there is another thread not far back that is titled toxic gases; you might
want to look at that for a discussion of ethylene). However, you don't say
when the flowers died; if it is recently, then perhaps it was simply time.
Another possibility (if they died early on) is the change in location.
Orchids don't particularly care for being moved from one environment to
another that might be quite different.

I note that you've placed the pot in a decorative container. Does the white
container provide for drainage? An orchid shouldn't be left in standing
water. What kind of medium is your Phal potted in?

As a general rule, Phals like to be kept moist, but not sopping. They like
fairly low light (a sunny east window with a curtain works) and a bit of
humidity. If you can tell us a bit about your growing conditions, we can be
of more help, I'm sure.

HTH

Diana