Old 11-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Wow, Orchids at Lowes!

Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir, here G. When I have
occasion to visit one of the big boxes, I always check out their orchid
selection and prices. I rarely find plants that I consider "comparable" to
ours, but when I do, our prices are usually lower, for a same-size plant, or
about the same for a larger one. And I can't even count the calls I get
that go along the lines of "The orchid I bought from you is doing great, but
these ones from [name your big box store] aren't looking so good, what am I
doing wrong?"].

Yeah. It's gotten ridiculous. I wish more people knew how much better the
orchids are, better selection, and cheaper at nearly any local orchid

supplier.

Not having been there, I could be wrong, but I think you mean 2x what Oak
Hill retails them for. The big box stores did not pay that retail price for
them, being a big-volume wholesale customer. So their markup is probably
more than the 100% you're thinking of ...
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Around here, about 3/4 of the places selling orchids are selling ones from

Oak
Hill. Usually with the tags still in the pots, often at twice what they

paid
for them.