Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM
B.Server

Default Precast concrete for raised beds

On 11 Jun 2004 06:30:29 -0700, (simy1) wrote:

B.Server wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:31:25 -0400, WCD
wrote:

I'm laying out a "four-square" garden at my place in central Maine. I'd
like to use some kind of precast concrete planks to create the
rectangular raised beds, but I haven't found much.

Anyone have any sources for concrete raised beds? I'd like to stick with
long planks if possible so I don't have to do as much fussing and
adjusting as they heave in the ground.

Thanks for any advice.

I made a couple of 18 x 4 foot beds from concrete pavers. The pavers
are 12in x 24in x2in. I trapped them in some surplus steel channel
such that the blocks form 2 in thick walls 12 inches high. They seem
to be working pretty well. I have enough scrap to build two more
after the weather cools a bit in the fall.

in my experience the pavers heave a lot more than cinder blocks.
Cinder blocks, buried 3 inches at the bottom, are the best choice in
cold areas. In all cases (blocks or pavers) the soil around them will
be limed for at least one foot.

Fortunately that is not much of a problem in Central Texas. I am not
sure how they would work in a freezing climate. It would seem to me
that the continuous steel channel would damp some of the heaving, but
I don't know. So far I have seen very little evidence of leaching,
certainly not out a foot from a 2 inch thick slab. Since our soil is
pretty alkaline to begin, perhaps more things are adapted to the
"lime" or the compost in the bed is buffering it.