Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Bill

Default excess water problem

Craig wrote:

Even if I can't save things for this year, any ideas on how to fix the bed
so I do not have the same issue next year?

Thanks!

Craig K
Staten Island, NY

Add compost to the clay. Add gypsum to the clay. Add sand to the clay. All
will help the clay drain and the compost will also make a dramatic change
in the fertility of the soil.

Bottom line: fix the clay. Your problem is not how much water you got but
your inability to get rid of the excess. It would not be unreasonable to
use a double-dug method in order to apply the amendments deep. This might
be a tough job, but would only need to be done once if organic amendments
are kept current thereafter.

Bill