Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ka30P

Default strange 'algae'

I have three deck tubs going.
One with cattails, one with a small tropical lily :-))
and one with rush and a society garlic.
Last year this middle tub developed a strange algae
form.
It is a fairly firm brown jelly like blob.
Each one is separate from the others. It starts
out small and then gets about the size of a quarter.
You can squish them and they will flatten out.
Looking that them with the magnifying glass they
look like broken brown fibers in jelly.

Easy to pick up and remove from the tub. Glad it
isn't in the main pond.
I think it came in on a papyrus plant I put in there
last year and survived just fine over a fairly severe
cold snap this winter. It really took off this spring
and I've been removing it. Not a big chore, just a
curiosity ;-)

kathy :-)