Old 12-06-2004, 07:05 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default I need help making thin slices for a slide...

Mike Lyle schreef
A microtome is an instrument your ingenuity might perhaps be able to
improvise. Movement of either blade or specimen (in elder-pith, etc)
is done by turning a screw, so you can get finer adjustment than the
unaided human hand could manage. At least one of the older books on
microscopy gave instructions for making a non-improvised durable one,
but I'm afraid I can't remember which, and I haven't got it any more.

+ + +
The OP could not even find proper razor blades, so a microtome likely is
lightyears beyond him. Besides that this is just the sort of project where
sections made by the unaided human hand could indeed be better than those
from a microtome.
PvR