Old 13-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Douglas

Default ......accidents will happen.....

"Leslie" wrote in message
. ..
No I dont thik you have any problems just watch the plants and water again
copiously if the leaves wilt.

If the plants survive as I think they should the fruits will not be

tainted.

....................................Leslie

ompson" wrote in message

Growing several different varieties of Tomatoes. The other day I
accidentally "watered" one (a "Tumbling Tom " ) with the contents of a

can
from the previous afternoon, Thought it was just tepid water. It turned

out
to be a solution of Jeyes' Fluid, put in the wrong can. It went into

the
soil, not touching the leaves. As I realized my daft mistake I quickly

gave
the soil a good drenching of clear water, and repeated about every three
hours that day. Since then have watered soil twice daily. Have I done

harm
with the Jeyes' - will the tomatoes be tainted, or even inedible???

Really
need some advice or reassurance on this, HELP. Mogsie.

*********

Don;t panic yet. At least you only watered one plant, so water copiously
now and then and see what the tomatoes taste like when they mature.
Old Frank, my mate, (We both served in Burmah but never met), never changed
the soil in his greenhouse, Every Spring-time he used to douse the
topsoil with a weak mixture of water and Jeyes Fluid. He grew about twenty
tomato plants every year and always had bumper crops.
You say it was a "solution" so that means it was watered down a bit so cheer
up! - wait until one tomatoe is good and ripe then taste it. I already
feel confident, but continue to wash the plant's root area regularly for a
while is the best advice I can give for now.
You could carefully take out a upside-down bowlshaped area around the stalk
taking care not to damage the stalk or its roots and infill with new soil,
but frankly I don't think it's worth the effort. Cheer up! - all is not
lost,.......Yet!.
Doug.
*********