Old 13-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Dayton

Default Wow, Orchids at Lowes!

Depends on the location. In northern New England, I've been to 3 Home
Depots. Two are very poor. The third, which fortunately (or
unfortunately for the credit card) is closest, usually has a good supply
of phals, oncidiums, paphs, dendrobiums and even an occasional catt,
miltonia or epi. Almost always in plastic pots inside clay pots, well
staked and with labels, some indicating the cross. Latest trick is two
identical phals in the same 6" pot. Twice the flowers for the same
$19.99 (not that I'd ever divide them after flowering).
The nearest Target is mediocre, rarely with anything other than an
unlabeled Phal. The nearest Smalwart has never even had an orchid as far
as I know.

dusty wrote:

"Ray" wrote in
:

There are lots of suppliers of orchids to Lowes, HD, and the like, and
some of them even have pretty good plants. I'm still a bit wary
though - more based upon the retailer's understanding of orchid
culture than anything, but i have seen "fresh," inbound shipments that
look like crap.

You are right about root rot Ray; Lowes, Home Depot, Franks, Target, Kmart
and others have a habit of keeping the fancy contaners/plastic wrap filled
with water. I've spoke to a couple of Plant associates and they know it's
too much water but they say they are just doing what their managers told
them to do and that their managers won't even bother to read the care
guides.
More proof that one doesn't have to be intelegent to be a manager.
(one of my pet beliefs)