Old 13-06-2004, 03:03 AM
xplorer

Default Invasive IDs

Red '57 wrote in message . ..
Well it's that time of year and all my favorite "plants" have
reappeared in my yard. I live just north of Atlanta ( 7b ) and would
like to ask for some assistance from the group.

I have a particularly nasty form of violet that followed me home after
I got a plant from a friend. It is a violet, often called culvert
kudzu and I would like to eradicate it. It does not respond well to
Roundup and I really don't like to use that much of it. If it is dug
up and any is left in the ground , it spreads faster.

Here are two examples:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874743dzCewd
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874919SQKRSe

Here is another plant that is not too bad, but is spreads very fast. I
had never seen it until last year and that was 100 yards away from my
house. Seems to be a shade lover.

Here are two examples:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874461piEaui
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874579svJatb

The rest of my backyard potted plants:

http://community.webshots.com/album/142226966meBDZL
http://community.webshots.com/album/142226966meBDZL/1

thanks,

jim

The first weed looks like Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica). It is a
well-known herb but it is really invasive, sending lots of runners. I
successfully eradicated it from my Arachis pintoi lawn by manual
weeding!

The second one looks like a member of the grass family. The local
agriculture bureau could probably ID it.