Old 13-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Shiva

Default Safer Spraying

Tom Line wrote:

What's the safest way to spray roses without inhaling chemicals?

I use this"

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page3.html

Note that the 34.95 price includes shipping. I have about 80
roses and use a 1.5 gallon pressure pump sprayer. After
about 30 minutes the respirator gets hot and uncomfortable--
but that is about how long it takes me to spray. I use
Orthenex combo insecticide and fungicide every 10 days
to two weeks. I live in a buggy, fungusy place--NC--so
I need it. This chemical is safe when dry--but not until.
It works systemically so that only biting, sucking and chewing
insects are killed. The most dangerous time is when you are
mixing the concentrate, so put on gloves, mask, and
respirator at that point and keep them on until you go
back inside the house. Hose down your gloves and sprayer
last thing and leave your shoes outside.

Although this product is demonized by the "more-
organic-than-thou" as somthing that kills all
beneficials and makes the Baby Jesus Cry, I still
have lady bugs, soldier beetles, all manner of
non-rose eating insects, squirrels, voles,
chipmunks, etc. I get a few Japanese Beetles--
literally maybe ten this year--and that is about it.