Old 13-06-2004, 05:05 AM
gary davis

Default Potato Flowers

On 6/12/04 7:03 AM, in article , "Charles
Thorpe" wrote:

First time growing spuds, I always thought potato flowers were white
and fairly insignificant. Mine are a lovely pale purple with an
orange centre, variety is "Tesco New Potato"! Saw them sprouting in
the store, bought 'em and continued chitting them. Don't know why,
but feel quite chuffed with them.

Got them in a stack of tyres (4 deep) and they're about 3 feet above
the top of those!

Let me get this straight so that I can be sure I understand what I think you
said:

You have four tyres high and the spuds are three feet above the tyres. Are
these bicycle tyres? Or car tyres? If they are car tyres just what have you
used for fertilizer? What are they growing in sawdust? Soil? Clay? Sand? I
have tried the same thing but never had them grow anywhere close to what you
have done.

Now to the colour of the flower: Pale purple...yummy potatoes underneath all
this. I am tying to remember just what kind of potato grows with a purple
flower....I think it is a red skinned spud and maybe with a yellow interior.
It is an excellent spud. White or yellow interior they will be delicious! I
tried a yellow interior potato awhile ago and was impressed by the flavour.

What I really want to know is how did you get them to grow so well? Tell me
and I will follow your lead...thanks!

Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada