Old 13-06-2004, 06:04 AM
gary davis

Default pesticides question

On 6/11/04 9:06 AM, in article , "Nick
Apostolakis" wrote:

martin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:33:12 +0300, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

In the big plastic tunnels? I remember seeing a large plain full of
them in southern Crete.

if you traveled through southern Crete then you propably passed through
my village

what exactly do you mean by plastic tunnels?
how big were they?

it could be a type of greenhouse which is permanent or it could be a
first stage aid in open field cultivations of mellons or water mellons
that are removed later.

these things are used in the intensive types of agriculture that i
mentioned and they usually have nothing to do with organic farming.
of course there are organic greenhouses but they are too few.

the first type is one of very heavy use of pesticides, fertilisers and
water because as you all know the greenhouse is a very intensive type o
cultivation.

How are all the tomatoes grown that we used to see in hundreds of
trailers near Patras?

Their farming is probably more organic than "Organic" :-)

well when i say intensive i mean really intensive.

ah and about the fishes. you are absolytely right.
we have destroyed (almost) all the fishes of our seas with dynamite
fishing. this fishing i illegal as it destroys everything edible or not.
the authorities try to prevent it but as you know we have a lot of coast
lines so it is not an easy job.

Yes, a similar problem we had here in Canada. A fisheries officer, after
much sleuthing, discovered the main culprit and arranged a fishing trip with
same.

They set off and after a time, having caught nothing, the 'suspect' reaches
into his fishing bag and pulls out a stick of dynamite.

Before the fisheries officer notices this, the dynamite is lit. "You aren't
going to use THAT are you?" Yells the officer. The suspect throws the lit
dynamite stick to the officer and says "Are you going to talk or fish?"

Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada