Old 13-06-2004, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

Default Selecting Plants for a 2 Acre Landscaping Project in Santa Cruz

I'm not sure that rhododendrons would be a good choice for a dry site. They
generally prefer moist soils with good drainage. I would google dry shade
plants to help narrow your list. Even though there may be irrigation
possibilities, it seems to me that California goes through periods every few
years where water is rationed. There are more drought resistant evergreen
flowering plants, if that is what you are considering. Camellias, for
instance, which need a fair amount of water their first few years,
eventually root in deeply enough to be relatively drought tolerant.
"Dubs" wrote in message
m...
I've got a big landscaping gig up in the local mountains above Santa
Cruz.
I'm really completely overwhelmed by the prospects of planning such a
large gardening project, as I have little experience, but its a
WONDERFUL summer job. How can I refuse? But I need HELP. I have
some friends good with a lot of experience who might be able to help
me, but I'd figure I'd post here too.

The place is large and pretty shady. Its at about 1500 ft. Pretty
dry, above the fog belt, no summer rains, occasional winter frost.
The soil seems pretty good and of the standard type around here... not
sure about the PH, though... does anyone know? The tree cover is
Madrone, Tan Oak, Doug Fir, and a few young planted redwoods. There
is one spot with some southern exposure, another with some western
exposure, and another with little of either.

I've been thinking rhododenrdons mainly, and I have some insansely
long lists of shade loving plants. Can anybody help narrow down my
selection? Please explain why your suggestion would be good in this
place.

Thanks,