Old 13-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Pete

Default Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Sirius631" wrote in message
Sounds like raised beds would be the best bet. That is is what I'm using.

can't keep all the soil moist all the time with my rain water storage and
supply capacity. I do need to expand this, but finances might soon dictate

that
I sould have held on to the cash. I can take solice in the fact that

sparrows,
which have been suffering a big dip in numbers, will invade in hoards to

take a
dust bath when the soil gets to that hydrophobic state.

Yes indeedy raised beds are definately the go ... a few years ago I had some
commercial worm beds which have been turned into garden beds and although
the pure worm castings are not IMO good growing medium when they were
spread into the surrounding area they improved the soil to a stage where it
supports growth all year even through the dryest times ... only grasses a
few trees and a rather unruly raspberry bush at the moment ... but the worms
are still there and have spread also ... so the whole area is slightly
raised (but was already in a higher spot) and the difference in soil
texture, organic material and water holding capacity is nothing short of a
miracle.

I've used old cut down water tanks as big plant pots (5 feet across and
about 2.5 feet deep) for Herbs and things like Mint and self setting plants
like Garlic chives etc ... things that would get out of control or be hard
to contain in a normal garden bed .. again the lack of rain is a prob and
the hot sun on the tin water tanks doesnt help but having a real depth of
workable soil is a real bonus.

I understand the lack of finances ... dont we all? ... ya just have to do
what you can when ya can .. I'll never get this place as I want it even if I
live to be a hundred, but its kinda fun (sometimes) trying.

Dont get too sunburnt

Pete

David Lloyd
So open-minded - my brains dribbled out.