Old 13-06-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

Default apple trees

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:04:13 -0500, (Scruffy Dog) opined:

Howdy!
I live in Holland north of Austin.
I planted a couple of apple trees this year for the first time and am
wondering if there are any special things i need to do to insure apples
every year? I know that they need a certain amount of cold every winter
but there's not a lot i can do about that. Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks
Alan

Only if you selected low chill hour varieties will you have apples. You also
need two apple trees for good pollination. Two varieties which are low chill
hours, which compliment one another are 'Granny Smith' and 'Mollies Delicious.'

Outside of low chill hours, making sure you have not planted the trees too
deeply and getting on a program of fertilization. A nice layer of compost and
mulch on top of the soil surrounding the trees is a sound way to insure good
soil structure.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?