Old 13-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Katra

Default Oyster mushroom update!

Looking exciting!!!!!

The Oyster mushroom "roots" (mycelia) have colonized both toilet paper
rolls now and are sprouting Mycelia in a circular pattern out the sides!
:-) Two of the tufts are looking rather thick, so it looks like I may
have Oyster mushrooms pretty soon. I forgot when I planted them so I'm
not sure how long its' taken.

Had a brief problem, I have them in a large ice chest out in the
greenhouse and I thought there was really too much water in them a
couple of weeks ago, so I propped the lid up for a few hours to let some
of it evaporate.

Big mistake. :-( Fruit flies!!!! Little damned fruit fly maggots all
over the grow chamber. sigh I sprayed lightly with liquid sevin since
sevin biodegrades rather quickly, especially when exposed to water.
Killed the little suckers, but the protein from the maggots inspired
some light green mold growth at the base of my substrate!

Crap. :-(

So, this was just about a week ago. I bought a package of bedding pine
shavings and sprinkled them heavily all over the bottom of the grow
chamber to soak up more moisture, and stuffed some down inside the
toilet paper rolls as well.

Seems to have stopped the growth of the mold, and accelerated the growth
of the mushrooms. :-)

So I fixed it. Yay!

Will update again if and when the "tufts" organize and become tasty
mushrooms....

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...