Old 13-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Potato Flowers

gary davis wrote:

Let me get this staightt so that I can be sure I understand what I
think you said:

You have four tyres high and the spuds are three feet above the
tyres. Are these bicycle tyres? Or car tyres? If they are car tyres
just what have you used for fertilizer? What are they growing in
sawdust? Soil? Clay? Sand? I have tried the same thing but never had
them grow anywhere close to what you have done.

Car tyres, but maybe I exaggerated a wee bit as to height, definitely
between 2.0 and 2.5 feet and still growing, though they are tending
to flop about a bit now.

Growing a brew of clayey soil from the planting hole for an apple
tree, garden compost made from hacked out undergrowth in the kids
playground behind me (mainly nettles and elder) and a goodly portion
of manure in the bottom. Each time I've added more soil, a handful of
blood, fish and bone and one of chicken manure pellets has gone in.
I tend to give them at least a gallon of water a day now, and if its
hot an extra watering can full.

The tyres seem to absorb heat from the afternoon sun very well, this
may be why they've shot up. I've put som tubs in front of them to
shade them now, a couple of days recently there was a danger of
growing pre-cooked spuds!

Now to the colour of the flower: Pale purple...yummy potatoes
underneath all this. I am tying to remember just what kind of potato
grows with a purple flower....I think it is a red skinned spud and
maybe with a yellow interior. It is an excellent spud. White or
yellow interior they will be delicious! I tried a yellow interior
potato awhile ago and was impressed by the flavour.

Variety unknown, came from the supermarket, but they are white inside
and white skin, quite tasty as far as I remember.

What I really want to know is how did you get them to grow so well?
Tell me and I will follow your lead...thanks!

Ah, I'll post the results of digging em up (if there're any to dig!)
and eating em.

--
Regards, Charles
Unobfuscate to reply by mail