Old 14-06-2004, 03:04 AM
V_coerulea

Default zuccini and borers

A less time intensive method, should you miss the off-white to pinkish eggs
but happen to notice the frass, is to take a sharp pocket knife and slit the
stem lengthwise from the borer hole toward the growing tip. Chances are
you'll run into the borer within a few inches and can easily get rid of it.
I know some people who give a shot of Physan into the slot (not sure it's
necessary or even helpful) and then mind a few loops of masking tape around
the slit to hold things firmly together to prevent any opportunists from
getting in (I guess that's the idea of the Physan too). On bush zucchini,
it's a little harder since the stem is so thick and the leaves close
together. Saccrifice a few leaves and the process is the same.
Gary

"Jack1000" wrote in message

I had a problem with squash borers last year. I was wondering if anybody

knows
what the egg looks like when it gets laid on the plant stem.
I found a few hard, very small brownish circular things that I thought

might
be the eggs. There was one on a stalk attached facing the ground, maybe

four on
every other plant.
I hate these pests. They take a wonderful thriving plant and bring it to

its
knees.
So far the only way I found to fight them was to find the holes they make

on
the bottom of the stalk and stick thin a wire in and try to skewer the

little
black faced larvas.
If I can get the eggs off the plant before it is too late that would save

a lot
of back breaking work.