Old 14-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Katra

Default zuccini and borers

In article ,
(Jack1000) wrote:

I had a problem with squash borers last year. I was wondering if anybody
knows
what the egg looks like when it gets laid on the plant stem.
I found a few hard, very small brownish circular things that I thought might
be the eggs. There was one on a stalk attached facing the ground, maybe four
on
every other plant.
I hate these pests. They take a wonderful thriving plant and bring it to its
knees.
So far the only way I found to fight them was to find the holes they make on
the bottom of the stalk and stick thin a wire in and try to skewer the little
black faced larvas.
If I can get the eggs off the plant before it is too late that would save a
lot
of back breaking work.

Inject the base of each plant with a solution of beneficial nematodes.
That is supposed to work _wonders_ against squash borers...

No, I've not tried it yet, I just moved my squash growing inside the
greenhouse this year. Too soon to tell if it's gonna work yet, but I
have high hopes! I did put 2,000,000 beneficial nematodes into the soil
last Sunday tho' in an attempt to get fleas and grubs under control
tho', and hopefully fire ants as well.

They are cheap for the amount of work they do. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...